5 March 2024

Unlocking career potential with authentic industry experience: Gianna He

Master of Commerce (Extension) student, Gianna He shares her experience of the Job Smart Edge unit BWIL6573. 


How did you get involved in the unit?  

I attended the Job Smart program (BWIL6573) introduction session during orientation week. The employment-focused experiences described by the ambassador were exactly what I needed and fit my career ambitions.  

  

What was your experience of the program like?  

The program was more challenging than I thought it would be and helped me push my boundaries and grow my teamwork skills. I found each week’s content rich and valuable. It grounded the theory we learned in real business cases with the unit coordinator’s personal experiences. The course also allowed me to meet new people with different views and experiences and make new friends. These aspects made BWIL6573 a valuable experience for my future career development.  

  

What were the highlights?  

One outstanding moment was the completion of my e-portfolio website. Presenting it gave me a sense of accomplishment as I was very proud of completing something I had never tried before. Another highlight was when my group received feedback from the client after completing our business proposal as part of the Digital Industry Project for Learn Grow Become. It helped me connect and demonstrate the theory I had learned throughout the course and real industry experience.  

  

What were the biggest challenges, and how did you overcome them?  

One of my biggest challenges was finishing a project with people I had not previously worked with. Coordinating as a group in such a short time was difficult as we were unfamiliar with each other, and it definitely put me out of my comfort zone. The reflective component of the course was another challenge for me as I needed to learn to think analytically about our project.  

  

What career skills do you think you developed through the program?  

I developed my problem-solving and verbal, and written communication skills through this program. Working with new people enhanced my leadership abilities, improving goal setting, planning, and critical and reflective thinking. 

  

What would you say to future students considering applying for this unit?  

This program really helped me develop my potential and build a clearer picture of my career ambitions. It is definitely an excellent opportunity to grow the skills essential for employability.  



No comments:

Post a Comment