5 February 2024

Exploring your passion through work integrated learning: Kayla Bellamy

Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Advanced Studies student Kayla Bellamy shares her experience of Business Consulting Practicum (BWIL1300)

How did you get in the unit? 

I got involved in the unit during my second semester at university when I was exploring different career paths. After attending various university events and conversing with fellow students in my first semester, the field of consulting caught my attention. Upon further investigation, I discovered that Sydney University offered a consulting class, which seemed like an excellent opportunity for me to explore consulting while pursuing my degree.

 

What was your experience of the program like? 

The program was highly interactive and provided ample opportunities to meet new people. I grew close to my group members, and it felt like a social break from traditional university classes while still being productive. We had the chance to present our ideas to prominent figures in the industry and even received invitations to discuss our concepts further with the companies themselves.

 

What were the highlights? 

The people I met were definitely the highlight of the program. Collaborating with them made the experience enjoyable, almost like working with friends. The interactive nature of the group work made it engaging and different from typical lectures and tutorials.

 

What were the biggest challenges and how did you overcome them? 

One of the significant challenges was coordinating group work amidst everyone's busy schedules. Finding a regular time to meet outside of class required effort. Additionally, ensuring that all group members shared the same level of commitment and work ethic was crucial. Overcoming these challenges involved effective communication and finding common ground among team members.

 

What career skills do you think you developed through the program? 

  • Critical Thinking and Problem-Solving: Addressing complex business issues enhanced my problem-solving abilities.
  • Strategic Communication: Collaborating with diverse team members improved my ability to convey ideas convincingly.
  • Project Management: Leading project execution taught me the importance of efficiency and organization.
  • Adaptability and Flexibility: Handling evolving project demands developed my resilience and adaptability.
  • Ethical Decision-Making: Emphasis on ethical practices reinforced principled decision-making aligned with client objectives.

What would you say to future students considering applying for the unit? 

I would encourage future students to seize the opportunity to meet new people and collaborate closely with their peers. It's essential to choose group members you get along with and remember the importance of compromise in group work. The unit offers a unique experience, and with hard work, it can lead to exciting opportunities beyond traditional classroom settings.

No comments:

Post a Comment