30 January 2024

Overcoming workplace challenges through an academic lens: Meghana Sharma

Master of Commerce student Meghana Sharma shares her experience of the Experience in Industry unit (BWIL2150/BWIL6150).



How did you get involved in the Experience in Industry unit?

I enrolled in the Experience in Industry unit as part of my Master of Commerce. I was recommended the unit as an opportunity to gain practical insights into the industry and apply academic knowledge in a real-world setting.

 

What was your experience of the program like?

Undertaking the unit was an enriching experience as it provided a unique opportunity to reflect deeply on past and current situations within my workplace. From the professional skills developed within the unit, I am now able to draw on the parallels of published literature to make informed decisions actively when a situation is happening. This was truly mind-opening and developed key skills for my career. 

 

What were the highlights?

The biggest highlight of the program was the student-centric design and facilitation. From workshop schedules to the assessment criteria, the unit accommodates the schedules and commitments of working professionals. My unit coordinator, Sanri LeRoux, made the unit incredibly valuable. Sanri provided prompt feedback and was genuine in her efforts. I always had significant takeaways from every seminar I attended.

 

What were the biggest challenges and how did you overcome them?

One of the biggest challenges I faced in the program was analysing my work style. I work in the for-purpose sector, which I am deeply passionate about. This makes day-to-day tasks feel very nuanced, as there is an underlying emotional spiel attached to every action I make. The assessments encouraged me to reflect critically on incidents and challenges with emotional detachment while learning how to respond with solutions drawn from academic literature.


What career skills do you think you developed through the program?

Prior to completing the unit, my responses to workplace scenarios were primarily emotional. Exposure to academic theories helped me adopt an unbiased, strategic and long-term lens when approaching challenging situations. Taking a long-term perspective made me realise that I could choose a career path that works for my personality. I am empowered knowing I can forge a career path by first reinforcing what matters to me and not leaving it to chance.

 

What would you say to future students considering applying for the Experience in Industry unit?

Regardless of their field of work, I would strongly encourage those with work experience to enrol in the Experience in Industry unit. It is a unique and valuable opportunity to address workplace challenges from an academic lens, learning to analyse them and devise the best possible response critically. This process will stay with you forever. Discussing challenges with someone like Sanri has been a truly rewarding experience. 


Learn more about the Experience in Industry unit (BWIL2150/BWIL6150).


No comments:

Post a Comment