25 January 2024

Unlocking your potential through an internship: Thilinie Seimon

Master of Commerce (Business Information Systems) student Thilinie Seimon shares her experience with the Local Industry Placement Program.



How did you get involved in the unit?

The Local Industry Placement Program is a selective or elective unit of study contributing 6-credit points towards my degree. What motivated me to participate in the program was the opportunity to gain work experience at a local organisation, receive personalised feedback throughout the hiring process - from resume screening to the interview process - and benefit from invaluable learning opportunities provided by the assessment centre.

 

What was your experience of the program like?

My internship experience was directly aligned with my career goals and interests. It helped me realise my potential and the skills I can bring to an organisation. The internship provided me with an opportunity to apply the theoretical knowledge gained from my undergraduate and postgraduate studies in a real-world setting.

 

The continuous support of the teaching team and tailored assessments ensured I received the most out of the experience. Working with my internship supervisor in the early stages of the program allowed me to lead a project with a company-wide impact. The project I was assigned to during my internship looked at new systems to encourage idea-sharing, transparency and employee engagement across the organisation

 

What were the highlights?

During my internship at Rabobank Australia, I formed strong relationships with numerous colleagues from my team as well as from other parts of the company, including senior managers from Australia and New Zealand. The opportunity to lead a project that has a company-wide impact was truly rewarding and strengthened my ability to think on my own feet. Upon completion of the project, I was awarded the Lean Six Sigma White Belt Certification which is a company-wide initiative for employees whose work improves an existing business process. 

 

What were the biggest challenges and how did you overcome them?

Working within a team with remote colleagues was the biggest challenge I faced during the internship. The work culture helped me overcome this hurdle and I quickly became comfortable taking the initiative to seek assistance from colleagues.

 

Another challenge I was presented with was the unfamiliarity with the software required to lead the project. Learning how to work with this software in 10 weeks was challenging yet exciting and extremely value-adding for my career.

 

What career skills do you think you developed through the program?

The internship improved my communication skills, strengthening my cross-cultural communication and active listening. These soft skills were key when interviewing colleagues from diverse backgrounds. The opportunity also increased my confidence and resilience when undertaking challenging tasks. 

 

What would you say to future students considering applying for the unit?

This program is well-organised, and the teaching team, particularly the supervisors, are very supportive. They will help you achieve the best from the internship and mentor you on reaching your career goals. If you are curious to learn through experience, make this opportunity yours to shine!

 

Learn more about the Local Industry Placement Program.




No comments:

Post a Comment