23 April 2024

Unlocking opportunities via the USA Industry Placement Program: Charlotte Smeallie

Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Advanced Studies student, Charlotte Smeallie, shares her experience of the USA Industry Placement Program BWIL2215 in summer 2024.




How did you get involved in the USA IPP?

I saw the promotional emails sent to us about the program and have always had an interest in working overseas, especially New York, so it felt like the stars were aligning with this opportunity. I was quick to apply and was lucky enough to be chosen!

 

What were the highlights of the program and the trip?

Being in New York for an extended period of time was a highlight in itself, you really got to understand the city well and I could definitely see myself moving there to work again in the future, it has the most indescribable vibe to it. But even more than that, I was so incredibly fortunate with the group of people I got to travel with from USYD. Having barely known each other at the start, we were able to bond quickly over our shared experiences when exploring the city and often catch up after work to debrief our day. It was amazing and very comforting to have them to share my time in NY with. 

 

What were the biggest challenges and how did you overcome them?

Definitely the biggest challenge was maintaining self-confidence. Coming to a big city like NY with a group of people I initially didn’t know well was certainly daunting and the first week in the office I was somewhat timid and unsure of my capabilities. However, in reminding myself of how grateful I am to be in this position in the first place and to not overthink my mistakes, I was able to reposition my mindset. As such, I was able to improve the quality of my work and truly just embrace everything the city had to offer. Not to mention, figuring out the subway system definitely took a few days but by the end of the trip you felt like a local getting around the city!




 

What career skills do you think you developed through the program?

The program, and especially my placement position, taught me a lot about the direction I want my career to head and the skills I need to continue developing to achieve my goals. Primarily, I learnt a lot of technical and problem-solving skills when it came to the everyday tasks I was completing at work, including market analysis and internal valuations. This brought a wealth of industry knowledge and ideas that I hadn’t yet even considered, due to the many connections that my workplace had with others.

 

Has the program changed the way you see your future career?

Given my placement was in the finance industry, and closely aligned with my studies at university, it is definitely the direction I had hoped for my career path to go. However, my placement company had a particular emphasis on blockchain and artificial intelligence which I learnt an immense amount about and found fascinating. Therefore I would say I am definitely more inclined to continue my career in this field of finance, especially given its growing impact. More so, the program highlighted my love for working in another country, especially in a place like NY which is a global hub of commerce and provides many more opportunities.

 

What advice would you give students considering applying for the USA IPP?

My advice when applying is to be authentic in your personal statement and to keep an open-mind. Be prepared to embrace new experiences and challenges that arise through both the application process and throughout the program, with the understanding that it is all part of your personal growth. There was definitely a part of me that was hesitant about whether I was going to cope being overseas and working in a foreign city. However, it is probably the best thing I’ve ever done for my own self-confidence and I walked away having learnt a whole lot and with a new group of friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment