6 February 2019

US Placement Program: Arriving in LA

Even though it wasn’t my first time visiting Los Angeles, the US Placement Program has given me an invaluable insight into the city. For me, the opportunity to work in a foreign city while at the University of Sydney is unparalleled. Not only has it given me greater professional experience working in a globalised environment, I’ve also been thrust into situations where I can grow and develop myself as a person. While it might have been difficult to leave my family and friends, I am nevertheless excited for the bonding and camaraderie I will develop living in an unfamiliar environment with 19 other students.

One of the first things I learnt was that travelling by yourself is never easy. Even though I had just got off a 14-hour flight, my brain was going into overload as I tried to process my new surroundings. Having made the decision to not buy the grossly overpriced phone plans at the airport, not having access to social media was the least of my worries as catching the Uber had just gotten so much more difficult. After finally being saved by the LAX free Wi-Fi and managing to claim the best bed in the apartment, I realised I had no food, no water, and most importantly, no internet.

Having no idea where to go and no one around to ask for directions, I decided to take a leap of faith and venture down the first street I saw. Even though I was on the verge of collapsing from hunger, walking down the streets of Santa Monica made me realise why Los Angeles is referred to as the ‘City of Angels’. The wide boulevard, the blissful sunshine, and the tall, dancing palm trees created a picturesque view that seemed like something you’d find on a postcard or one of Snoop Dogg’s music videos. If I did die from starvation and become an angel, maybe I’d like to live here too.


As I am writing this now, it is already the fourth week of work. Having ticked over the half way mark, I’ve already had many phenomenal experiences such as climbing up Mount Hollywood in the dark, riding electronic scooters at nearly 30km/hr down the streets of Santa Monica, and not feeling guilty about eating burgers because it’s America. But amongst such precious memories, my first day is one I will never forget.

While ‘getting off the plane’ and ‘checking into my apartment’ seem dull and mundane compared to my other experiences, they nevertheless marked the beginning of a journey. It wasn’t just the beginning to a six-week program conducted by the University of Sydney Business School, it was the kick-start to my marketing career, and it was the beginning of new friendships. It does seem clichéd to say this, but undertaking international study and work initiatives such as the US Placement Program is a choice you cannot go wrong with. Such opportunities are truly once-in-a-lifetime, and I hope many more students can have the same experience I had.

Written by Weize Tong

No comments:

Post a Comment