6 July 2023

Unlocking Professional Growth through the Experience in Industry Program: Nadya Tjandradinata

Bachelor of Commerce/Advanced Studies student, Nadya Tjandradinata shares her experience of the Experience in Industry unit (BWIL2150/BWIL6150) and advice to future students who are considering applying for the program. 

Nadya Tjandradinata

What is the Experience in Industry Program and how did you get involved? 

The Experience in Industry Program is a unique opportunity for students to integrate an individually sourced internship as part of a 6-credit point unit towards their degree. It serves as a bridge between academic learning and real-world work experience, allowing students to apply theoretical knowledge to practical industry settings. As part of the program, we also receive guidance from Dr. Sanri Le Roux, who provides valuable insights on navigating the workplace as well as career planning. My situation was quite unique – I initially participated in the Local Industry Placement program and reached the final matching stage. However, due to certain circumstances that arose, my employer company and I were advised to join the Experience in Industry Program instead. 
 

What was your experience in the program like? 

I had the privilege of working with Business France Australia, the Trade Commission of the French Embassy in Sydney. Being a part of the Industry and Cleantech sector, our role involved facilitating the entry of French businesses into the Australian market by identifying suitable partners and clients for them. This experience directly aligned with my International Business major, allowing me to apply market analysis principles in a real-world context. Initially, I was a bit nervous about working in a French environment. However, I quickly discovered that they were incredibly supportive, friendly, and even had a great sense of humor. It was an enriching experience to work in a different cultural environment and I was able to adapt quickly. 

What were the highlights? 

One of the highlights of my experience was working on the Great Barrier Reef Mission as part of the French Blue Economy Tour. I was particularly passionate about this mission because I had previously worked with the Reef Restoration Foundation as a strategy consultant with 180 Degrees Consulting. Through the support of the Queensland government, we successfully secured partnerships and facilitated productive conversations between various French and Australian SMEs. Witnessing the tangible outcomes of our hard work was truly rewarding. Additionally, I had the opportunity to learn about new technology companies and services that contribute to the preservation of the reef—a cause I am deeply curious about. 

What were the biggest challenges and how did you overcome them? 

Being the only non-French speaker in the office posed some challenges and limited my ability to perform certain tasks. However, I saw this as an opportunity for personal growth. I learned to take the initiative, remain engaged, and be proactive in overcoming language barriers. Embracing a mindset of curiosity and fearlessness, I began asking more questions, realizing that it demonstrated my enthusiasm and eagerness to learn. By the end of the internship, I became more comfortable communicating with my colleagues and even picked up a few French phrases along the way. I owe much of my success in overcoming these challenges to the supportive mentors and colleagues I had the privilege of working with. 

What career skills do you think you developed through the program? 

The Experience in Industry Program provided me with an invaluable learning experience that accelerated my professional development. I acquired essential skills in networking and communication, as I had the responsibility of connecting two high-level parties with distinct interests. This experience significantly boosted my confidence in presenting ideas and pitching them effectively. Moreover, working in a team environment allowed me to hone my collaborative skills and build strong interpersonal relationships. These skills are highly transferrable and will undoubtedly benefit me in my future career endeavors. 

What would you say to future students considering applying for the Experience in Industry Program? 

To future students considering the Experience in Industry Program, I cannot emphasise enough that the real challenge begins after you are accepted into the program. The pressure to impress and prove yourself to your employers may be daunting, but it's crucial to remember that this opportunity primarily serves as a platform for learning and personal growth. Embrace the experience and don't be afraid to make mistakes – this program provides a unique space where you can learn from them without significant consequences. 

Believe in yourself and your abilities. The fact that you were selected for this program means that you possess qualities and skills that caught the attention of your employers. You have a valuable contribution to make, so be confident and let your potential shine through! 

Lastly, amidst the challenges and hard work, remember to have fun. This program offers a chance to explore a new industry, work with professionals in the field, and expand your network. By maintaining a positive attitude and finding enjoyment in your experiences, you can make the most of this invaluable program. 
 
Learn more about Experience in Industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment