22 May 2023

My Local Industry Placement Program Experience: Audrey Jagle

Master of Commerce (Extension) Graduate, Audrey Jagle shares her experience with the Local Industry Placement Program (Local IPP). 


What is the Local IPP and how did you get involved?

The Local IPP gives students the opportunity to gain work experience from a range of top firms. The application process reflects that of the graduate role recruitment process. You are required to submit an application, along with your resume. If selected, you will participate in an online video interview and then there will be a group assessment centre. This is a very valuable experience as it acts as an introduction to the way in which many recruitment processes are undertaken. Additionally, you will receive extensive feedback at all touch points of the process which gives you a good guide on what to work on and how to improve it. If successful, you will then get matched with a partner company that aligns with your career goals and interests. 

Who did you work for and what was that like?

I was placed at Parfums Christian Dior in the Training Team which I was incredibly excited about. This role aligned with my previous experience in fashion retail, but also with my majors in Marketing and Strategy. My team was incredibly supportive, and approachable. They consistently imparted extensive, valuable guidance which I will be able to apply in any future role. I was very fortunate to work with people who acted as mentors and were enthusiastic to answer any questions I had. 

What were the highlights?

The biggest highlight of the program for me was the insight I gained into my career goals. Prior to this experience, I had not considered it possible to be so passionate about your role and the brand you work for. I became aware of how the enthusiasm you hold for your role will drive your motivations and ambitions to progress your career skills and goals. This inspired my desire to gain as much exposure to the people and resources the company had to offer. This helped me make the most of the opportunity to develop my skills and experience as part of the IPP. 

I also had the opportunity to attend and help with a range of events such as the Miss Dior Pop-Up, Dior Mother’s Day Master Class, LVMH Group Induction and the Sephora Conference presentation. This was incredible exposure and diversified the experience and tasks that I worked on. 

What career skills do you think you developed through the program?

Complimenting the transferable skills that I identified as part of the program reflection such as networking, adaptability, innovation, and time management, the program also gave me a higher level of career experience. This was my first exposure to working in an office environment and the dynamics that are associated with it. The structure of the program allowed me to deepen my understanding and build my confidence in an environment and context that offered significantly more support than if I was starting as a full-timer. This also taught me how to ask for help and how to build relationships with people who are eager to help me grow. This is an invaluable skill and awareness as it will inspire me to form mentorship relationships in future roles which will elevate my networking and skills-based opportunities.  

Learn more about the Local Industry Placement Program.

No comments:

Post a Comment