7 February 2023

Dalyell Scholar Student Profile: Jin Kim

Bachelor of Commerce student and Dalyell Scholar, Jin Kim shares his experience of the Dalyell program and his advice to incoming Dalyell Scholars.

Jin Kim

Why did you choose the University of Sydney? 

I wanted to study abroad in order to get out of my comfort zone, experience diverse cultures, and improve my English skills. The University of Sydney ticked all the boxes in addition to it being one of the best universities in Australia. I also wanted to experience what it would be like to live in the world’s third most liveable city, as Sydney is very multicultural, vibrant, and safe.
     
How did you come to choose finance as your major?

I have always been interested in the financial industry since I was young. I once watched a show called 'Around the World in 80 Trades', and it was amazing to see someone buy goods and make a profit by trading goods to where there was higher demand. The more I studied, the more I realised that I like numbers. I started investing in stocks when I was in high school, and I started studying stocks when I was 20. I find the various techniques to analyse stocks and the process of measuring the value of a company truly fascinating. To learn more about the finance industry and to deepen my analytical skills, I chose finance as my major at university.

What have you enjoyed most about your experience in the Dalyell Program?

Taking a class with students from different faculties was very interesting. When you take your major units, all the students you meet are mostly in the same department but in the Dalyell units, I had group assignments with law students, science students, and arts students. It was a great opportunity to experience diverse thinking from different faculties as well as develop my creative thinking skills. 

Tell us about the Dalyell Day in the Life Program.  

What I liked about the program was that it gave me the opportunity to meet and talk to seasoned professionals working in the finance field. For example, I was able to talk to Jane Kerr and Ashley Brinson.  Jane is an Associate Lecturer in International Business and was the Research Manager for the University of Melbourne’s Asialink Business and Unit Leader for Management at Monash University. Ashley is a principal at Brinson and Associates Pty Ltd and is currently working on solar system-related robots. We had a great conversation about low-carbon energy, and he shared his insights about the future of technology and industry growth. As an international student, this networking opportunity has been invaluable and I am very grateful for the experience.

What advice would you give to an incoming Dalyell scholar?

Be active and leverage your opportunities. Being a Dalyell scholar will be very helpful in building your career and can be life-changing if you actively participate in the program. These opportunities will not come unless you actively seek them. 

What career do you hope to have after graduating?

I would like to start out my career in the M&A advisory sector. I am very interested in how a company decides to invest large amounts of money, and the factors they have to consider when investing. Ultimately, my dream is to become the president of a foundation that makes society better by providing funds to people or companies working with passion, but where money is an obstacle.

Learn more about the Dalyell Scholars program.

No comments:

Post a Comment