11 November 2022

My Experience in Industry Program Experience: Kristopher Diskoros

Bachelor of Commerce/Advanced Studies student and Experience in Industry scholarship recipient Kristopher Diskoros shares his experience of the unit (BWIL2150/BWIL6150) and advice to future students who are considering applying for the program. 

Kristopher Diskoros

How has completing the Experience in Industry program helped your career?


The University of Sydney Business School's Experience in Industry Program (previously Self-sourced Placement Program) allowed me to accept a great opportunity to work as an intern with a boutique Corporate Advisory firm whilst studying my degree. 

I would have found it extremely difficult to take on relevant industry experience with full-time study, however the Experience in Industry program granted me the confidence to do so by providing course credit and reducing my load.

From this, I was able to demonstrate and develop my course learnings within finance and economics through various projects in deals, whilst also building invaluable industry connections. I have no doubt that this experience will continue to reap me rewards throughout my career.

What employability skills have you gained through this unit?


From critical thinking and teamwork skills, to finally learning all those cool Excel shortcuts, my placement experience definitely strengthened my soft and hard skill toolkit and has definitely made me more employable.

I know many graduates that, upon starting their first job, are confronted with how difficult it is to find balance. Taking on the Experience in Industry program during full-time study also provided a steep learning curve in time management and productivity. It took time to find my feet at first, but soon I found I was more productive with my time than ever, whilst still finding time to appreciate my social-life and hobbies.

With a somewhat developed skillset and an understanding of balance, I am now much more confident in approaching full-time work as a soon-to-be graduate

What was the best thing about your program experience?


The Experience in Industry program was excellent at demonstrating how I could get the most out of my placement, from assimilation to networking and marketing yourself. The unit assessments placed a priority on reflection, getting me to consider the challenges and learning opportunities I've been granted throughout the placement.

The coordinator and lecturer Dr Steven Hitchcock always went above and beyond to provide in-depth feedback for each student, ensuring we grow from the program.

What advice would you give to future students?


Be a sponge! Getting relevant experience is exciting, and it is important you can absorb as much as you can, as early as you can. This means asking as many questions as possible, and not shying away from a good challenge.

Undergoing work experience throughout your studies is also a great way to understand aspects of the industry you may like/not like, allowing you to make a more informed long-term career decision.

Would you recommend the Experience in Industry program to other students?


Absolutely! If there are off-cycle internships throughout the year that are of interest to you, and you are worried about balancing university, the Experience in Industry program is a great solution. This is a great way to set up your career.

Learn more about the Experience in Industry program.

No comments:

Post a Comment