19 November 2021

My China Industry Placement Program experience: Zilu Cheng

Master of Commerce student Zilu Cheng shares her experience of the China Industry Placement Program (BUSS2504/ BUSS6506).

Zilu Cheng

What is the China Industry Placement Program and how did you get involved?

The China Industry Placement Program (IPP) is part of the Industry Placement Program held by the Work Integrated Learning Hub at the Business School. Through this program, students can gain real-world working experience while studying and earning 6 credit points towards their degree. China IPP is a great opportunity for Chinese students who have to study remotely during the lockdown.

I was looking forward to joining the program when I first heard about it through the Business Mentoring Program. It required me to have at least 48 credit points completed in my degree, so when I became eligible I applied immediately. When applying for this program, I had to submit my CV and conduct a video interview. The application process is very similar to a job application process in the real world, so it was great to practise before I graduate.

What company did you work with and what was your experience like?

I worked in a digital marketing agency called United Media Solution. It is an agency that helps overseas companies, mainly from Australia and New Zealand, to enter into Chinese markets and conduct digital marketing campaigns.

My day to day work schedule included selecting and translating updated and relevant Chinese Industry news into English, and then, emailing this to our customer companies overseas. There were opportunities to participate in proposing creative ideas for digital marketing campaigns and I had also joined in on an industry research project about pet products.

What were the highlights of the program?

The most interesting task for me was generating creative ideas for digital marketing campaigns. During the program, I was able to meet each aspect of my marketing-related tasks and realised my interest in digital marketing. It has inspired me to apply for future jobs in the digital marketing field.

What would you say to future students considering applying for the program?

It's a great opportunity to experience working life before you graduate, especially for those students who don't have any prior work experience. The program will help you to develop and improve on your CV and employability skills, as well as make industry connections. 

Most importantly, you will get to experience and participate in work that's related to your major before graduation and can decide whether you will pursue this career and apply for similar jobs in the future.

Learn more about the China Industry Placement Program.


No comments:

Post a Comment