7 May 2020

My Local Placement Program experience: Joshua Sechi

Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Laws student Joshua Sechi shares his experience on the Local Placement Program (BUSS2100/BUSS6500).

What is the Local Placement Program?

The Local Placement Program is one of the University of Sydney Business School’s work-integrated learning programs. It’s a great way to get an internship with an amazing host company, giving you not only practical experience, but also credit toward your studies. I first found out about the program from a friend of mine who recently completed a placement which she absolutely loved and I instantly looked into how I could get involved – there aren’t many programs which provide such great practical experience, especially one you can claim as credit toward your degree.

How did you apply?

The application process is relatively straightforward and also provides great experience of what the process of applying for graduate jobs is like. You first submit an application and resume to the WIL Hub team, followed by video interviews, then a face-to-face group interview and even a one-on-one interview with a host company in some cases. Be sure to keep an eye on the application dates on the University of Sydney website – they’re usually really early in the semester and you don’t want to miss out!

Joshua Sechi

Where did you work?

I was placed as an analyst at CPE Capital – one of Australia’s leading private equity firms headquartered in the Sydney CBD. In my role I research opportune industries and potential target companies within them, as well as carry out various tasks to aid in the running of current portfolio companies. That said, everyone’s Placement Program experience is different and there are a huge variety of host companies available to suit any major!

How did the program help your career?

The experience itself was second-to-none. Unlike an ordinary internship, you can be absolutely sure you’re entering an environment that prioritises the student learning experience above all. I would say there are two key ways my placement has helped me. The first of these is those most obvious, allowing me to apply the many skills I’ve learnt at university in a practical setting. The second is something I didn’t really consider when I initially applied to the program, and that is the many soft skills which the placement allows you to practise on a daily basis, something that is arguably even more important than technical knowledge and transferrable to really any career path.

What was the best part of your placement?

The best part of my placement has undoubtably been the people. All my colleagues come from a very diverse range of backgrounds and I’ve really enjoyed working with different permutations of the team on a daily basis. It’s not only been a great way to learn from a wide range of professionals, but also showcased my host company’s amazing culture.

What advice would you give other students? 

My advice would be to really give your all to your placement. Your colleagues all genuinely want to help you learn as much as possible and an opportunity where you have such direct access to industry professionals is definitely not one to waste. I think an extension of this is to have a clear idea of what you want out of your placement going on, maybe even discussing this with your colleagues, so you can be sure you get the most of your placement experience.

Something I wasn’t aware of before applying for the program was the broad range of scholarships offered. They certainly relieve the pressure of attending an unpaid placement 3 days a week, making it easier to balance your studies and give 100% to your placement. Had I known, I may have applied in an earlier semester!


Learn more about the Local Placement Program here.

No comments:

Post a Comment