7 May 2019

Become job smart in Job Smart

Two years ago I was an international student, coming to Australia without any family or friends.
Now I’ve finished my internship in one of the world-class luxury groups and guaranteed an extensive work opportunity.

You may wonder how I could access those incredible opportunities. Job Smart is my answer.

What is Job Smart?


“Job Smart is a free program for international students at the Business School, enabling students to gain the skills and professional experience needed to get a great job after graduation.” 

The structure of Job Smart cannot be clearer. It is divided into three phases and students are supposed to take one phase in each semester. The best thing for students who are busy with their studies is that the program allows us to complete almost 80% of the tasks online. Those tasks, including a skill checklist, CV check and volunteering activities, provided great additions to my resume.

Why become Job Smart? 


By joining Job Smart, you can sharpen your:

  • Skills: communication, interpersonal, teamwork, presentation, resilience
  • Experience: volunteering, business project, Australian workplace experience
  • Local networks: networking events, workshops, online groups
  • Professional coaching sessions: resume/cover letter check, mock interview, assessment centre 



How to become Job Smart


I’ve been promoted to a Job Smart Program Ambassador in my last semester. This is a paid job but never advertised. I just felt so lucky, but later my manager unveiled the question and told me that it was all because of my attitudes – asking questions during the session, helping other students understand the program, attending every workshop and networking actively with stakeholders.

Her words impressed me that small things can become huge driver - and you never know what it may bring to you.


Learn more about the program at our Job Smart page.

Written by Daisy Fu
Career Leader and Job Smart Ambassador
Master of Commerce (2018)

No comments:

Post a Comment