28 September 2018

What I did last summer: my Industry Placement Program (IPP) experience


Where did you do your placement?

I undertook my placement with UN Women National Committee (NC) Australia, a not-for-profit organisation, as an International Women's Day (IWD) intern.

IWD is a day to celebrate and show your support for gender equality and women empowerment. For UN Women NC Australia, this IWD campaign period is a critical period to raise awareness and obtain donations to fund UN Women’s projects in the Asia Pacific Region. This year's theme was 'leave no women behind'. The funds raised went back to their programs supporting women involvement in the disaster planning, response and recovery efforts.

Anna and Camilla at Parliamentary Breakfast

What was your role and what kind of projects did you work on?

My role focused on the IWD Purple Ribbons business and my responsibilities were in drafting up a marketing plan to identify our target markets, from the corporate sector to community-based organisations, along with suggested communications. The objectives driving my work were to maximise the proceeds from ribbons while also educating customers of the ribbons' importance.

Over the placement, I received extensive support not just from my supervisor but from all my colleagues. I was able to comfortably put forward suggestions. What I enjoyed most was how open my colleagues were towards my desire to learn and do more outside of my usual responsibilities. This fostered a supportive workplace culture that allowed me to undertake work in other areas of interest.

Volunteers for Sydney’s 2018 IWD Breakfast

How did CEO’s services and resources help you prepare for the IPP?

Utilising CEO’s eCommunity resources went a long way in helping me to secure my placement. The resume resources (on Canvas and Blackboard) and the feedback I received on my mock online interview and mock assessment centre practice gave me valuable insights into what assessors expect, which saw my confidence skyrocket when it came to the real thing. 

Why did you decide to participate in the IPP?

I saw it as an opportunity to apply what I had learnt in the classroom into practice. Having reflection orientated assessments made me more aware of what I was learning on a day-to-day basis. It allowed me to connect and put into practice theories to a professional setting.

IPP also stood out to me because of the support provided by the CEO staff and unit coordinators. Whether the IPP placement is for six weeks or over the entire semester, going into a professional workplace can be daunting, especially if it’s the first time. The pre-training, the catch-up session and the post-IPP debrief session went a long way to inform me how to make the most out of the placement.

How has the IPP helped you?

Public speaking had never been a strong point of mine but this placement allowed me to practice my commercial awareness and business acumen, which improved my professional communication capabilities. The first few days were a lot for me to take in but the training sessions gave me reassurance that this is an opportunity to be embraced. I did so by actively listening and asking many questions, which enabled me to quickly learn, adapt, prioritise and multi-task.

What is the most important thing you’ve taken away from your experience?

There are two. Firstly, communication. I recommend you schedule weekly meetups with your supervisor as early as you can to receive feedback on your progress. Also do research on your organisation, understand what value you can bring to the role and ask yourself what you want to get out of your placement. Then, be proactive in turning these visions into reality by openly communicating them to your supervisor.

Secondly, network with your colleagues in a way that is authentic. Whether it be leveraging company events to meet like-minded individuals or getting to know your colleagues over lunch, it goes a long way! Chat about their career pathways, what they enjoy most and what has been the most challenging aspects of their role. It can uncover hidden gems that can provide greater clarity for your own career goals.

Written by Anna Wang
3rd year Bachelor of Commerce (Liberal Studies) student

No comments:

Post a Comment