10 December 2014

Having a corporate mentor-Virgin Money Mentoring Program



The start of the Virgin Money Mentoring Program began this year in early August. The team at Virgin Money and the Business School's CEO created this new corporate mentoring program to provide students with support from people in the business world with first-hand experience. Eight students of various years in the Inspired by Business family are currently participating in this opportunity with the first event held as the launch and as a chance for us to network with business representatives, which then began the start of our mentoring relationships. From cups of coffee, to meeting rooms, our 3 sessions have allowed us to have casual catch ups as well as follow the program structure.

My Mentor

My mentor, Eimear Grant, has had 10 years in the business industry, beginning as a system analyst and then moving onto project management.
As a project manager, she has meetings with various team members to create a plan and operating model for a project idea that the business has generated. She assists in the plan to remove obstacles and find solutions to problems they encounter while managing stakeholder updates, regular project meetings and project delivery.

In reaching her current position, she had to overcome many obstacles in her career path, beginning with her degree in software engineering. This goes to show that you might not be exactly sure of where you want to end up since your path will constantly change; just as Eimear's did across her various roles. Similarly, students don't need a business background to step into the business world. Your degree can lead you anywhere.

Sessions

The first session involved getting to know each other, although we learn more about each other with each session. Eimear informed me of her career path, the adversities she faced, how she overcame them, and more about her current role.

The second session focused on me: my strengths and weaknesses, and where I see myself in a few years’ time, as well as alternative career options. It also came with perfect timing as it really helped me to build my confidence in my interview skills. Eimear helped me step by step in questions that I could be asked and guided me on how to better word myself and sell myself to employers, teaching me tips and tricks to avoid difficult situations. Thank you Eimear!

In the third session, we exchanged resumes and Eimear provided me with tips to make my resume more succinct and well structured, making the best of the limited space. She also really sold the role of project management for me which has helped me in deciding on my last major, however still providing me with options, such as offering to shadow her in marketing meetings at Virgin Money.
I am fortunate enough to say it will not be the last of our mentoring relationship. Eimear has kindly offered to guide me further such as through mock interviews, which will be very helpful, yet a nerve racking and interesting experience!

It has been an amazing experience having someone guide you through career aspirations and I have learnt so much from our mentoring relationship, especially with her contribution to my professional development.

I am honoured to be one of the first participants of this program and I hope it continues for many years to come. This opportunity would not be without the work commitments of Nadia McDonald, Sarah Fletcher and the rest of the CEO team along with Danielle from Virgin Money and the mentors themselves, thank you.

Thank you for finding endless ways to develop our IBB family!

Elizabeth Trinh
Current student at the University of Sydney Business School

No comments:

Post a Comment