15 August 2013

Bonjour everyone!

It’s been almost 6 weeks in Paris and I cannot believe that it’s almost over. No more 1-euro baguettes and eating raspberry tarts for lunchtime dessert, I think I’m starting to develop Post-Paris Depression.

*Melancholic sigh*

Since my fellow students already blogged about how beautiful and magical Paris is, let me tell you more about my internship at the OECD (Yes, it’s the one with the Chateau!).

I work at the Directorate for Financial and Enterprise Affairs (DAF). At DAF, we write papers to identify and design the best practices and policies for governments in order to keep the global markets open, competitive, and sustainable.

Did I just hear you say writing papers, isn’t that what PhD or Honours students do? Yes, and I am neither of them. Here at the OECD, interns are given so many learning opportunities and never will you be left alone in the dark. Employees at the OECD can also take free French or English classes to improve help them improve their second language (I really need to take more French classes just so I can order something else other than croissants for morning tea).

What’s even better? The 2-hour lunch break and the obligatory morning tea. It is not uncommon to see people visiting the swimming pool or local shops during lunchtime. Now that’s what you call a good work-life balance!

If I were to summarise OECD in one word it would be “diversity”. Here, not only will you meet and work with the most talented people from all over the world, but you also work on tasks that are part of a bigger picture that affect the lives of millions.

No comments:

Post a Comment